Saturday, January 26, 2008

Apologetix Concert

Last night I attended an Apologetix concert. I had never heard this band before. In fact, until very recently, I never heard of this band. Being there stretched my comfort zone.
One reason was the presentation: flashing lights, very loud music, young teens standing at the foot of the stage screaming and twirling their heads and bodies, etc. This is easily the first rock concert I ever attended in sixty years plus of living.
Another reason the concert stretched my comfort zone is that I didn't have the "code." Apologetix is a Christian rock parody band. They specialize in Biblical/Christian lyrics put to the tunes of rock hits from the 1960's to the 1990's and up to now. I have never followed popular music starting with any time. I bet I was the only person in the place who was unable to connect with any single song.
I think the idea behind Apologetix is quite clever. I applaud their creativity. Obviously I'm not their target audience either.
However, I can connect with experiencing their concert on a totally unexpected level. I needed the "code" to participate fully in the concert. Without the "code," I was lost at the start. Forget all the personal preference issues - there is still the "code" issue which was huge last night.
That started me thinking. Are there other areas where I just don't have the "code"? Sometimes that's a good thing, but often it's not.
Ray Boltz and Steve Green both sing "People Need the Lord." It's a great song with compelling lyrics: Everyday they pass me by, I can see it in their eyes.
Empty people filled with care, headed who knows where?
On they go through private pain, living fear to fear.
Laughter hides their silent cries, Only Jesus hears.
People need the Lord, people need the Lord.
At the end of broken dreams, He's the open door.
People need the Lord, people need the Lord.
When will we realize, people need the Lord?
We are called to take His light to a world where wrong seems right.
What could be too great a cost for sharing Life with one who's lost?
Through His love our hearts can feel all the grief they bear.
They must hear the Words of Life only we can share.
People need the Lord, people need the Lord
At the end of broken dreams, He's the open door.
People need the Lord, people need the Lord.
When will we realize that we must give our lives,
For peo-ple need the Lord. People need the Lord
.

SO how to "take His light to a world where wrong seems right ... (and) through His love our hearts can feel all the grief they bear" unless I get the "code" of how to "feel their silent pain" and love people in the "grief they bear" with Jesus' love.
What's the "code"? It's having a heart that's underconstruction, that's in the process of God's loving restoration so I can go and love and care and give my life however, whenever, wherever to take Jesus to people who are at the end of "broken dreams" - whatever form that brokenness takes. It's pretty simple: it's just following Jesus to the places and people He would go and find and love and help were He on earth today!
I missed the words Apologetix sang last night. (I could have used a lyrics sheet.) The lights and music were outside my comfort zone, but I got something very valuable from the concert. I got the affirmation that my comfort zone isn't where I need to stay. There's a world of people outside my personal comfort zone who need Jesus, and I just might be their link to Him.

No comments: