Sunday, June 12, 2011

Hard Heart, Old Faith, Dry Eyes and Cold Prayers

What to do with my hard heart? old faith? dry eyes? cold prayers?

Keith Green died when the Cessna he was taking off in with eleven other people crashed.

Green is known for his contributions to worship and praise music in his lyrics and melodies including "O Lord, You're Beautiful" and "There is a Redeemer."

Perhaps his greatest gift to the people of God is his haunting and beautiful "My Eyes Are Dry."

My eyes are dry; my faith is old.
My heart is hard; my prayers are cold.
And I know how I ought to be -
Alive to you and dead to me.
O, what can be done for an old heart like mine?
Soften it up with oil and wine!
The oil is You, Your Spirit of love.
Please wash me anew in the wine of Your blood.

Thank you, Keith Green, for this gift to my own hard heart!

No comments: