Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Miley's Pictures in Vanity Fair

I'm still playing catch-up on Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana. When I heard a request Christmas 2007 for "anything Hannah Montana," I wasn't even sure if it was "Anna Montana" or Hannah Montana. Of course, my friends straightened me out quickly. I've never watched the show. I don't know enough about Billy Ray Cyrus to know that he's "a country legend." And I have no vision of Miley's future.

All that said, however, I have some serious concerns. I can remember when people generally thought Britney Spears was the clean-cut, virginal girl. Whether she started out that way or not, she hasn't ended that way. She's one sad woman now! I hope Miley isn't headed down the same road Britney and many others have traveled. The Hollywood life just does that to people.

Then there's just life in general. The world of 2008 is a landmine strewn landscape for any parents with young daughters they are trying to raise to be women of virtue and integrity. Exhibit A is almost any clothing store that sells clothes for this younger set. Modesty isn't a word that comes to mind when I pass through the junior department of almost any store. It's scary! I have two dearly loved granddaughters. They are far from teens, but they are growing up in this world gone mad and it's scary stuff!

Scripture describes the "King's daughter" as beautiful inside - in her heart. (Psalm 45:13). 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 cautions, "Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil." ("Avoid every kind of evil" is also well translated "avoid/stay away from even the appearance of evil." Avoiding even an appearance of evil isn't a photo shoot topless with a loosely held satin drape. Avoiding even an appearance of evil isn't a photograph with tongue stuck out and a sexually suggestive look like another photo of Miley I saw this week.

I do know enough about Miley Cyrus to know that she claims some kind of Christian faith. I don't know what she means by that. I seriously doubt she means the same thing I understand "Christian faith" to be. I'm not sure she could be and do what she does and still be a committed Christian - a King's daughter beautiful in her heart. I don't see into her heart, but I can see her actions. I see her pictures - recent and not-so-recent, and they are increasingly sexually suggestive. Sex sells! Miley and her parents and "handlers" know that. It's a very insidious trap!

Miley says she's "embarrassed" by the Vanity Fair pictures. Does "embarrassed" translate into "Oops, this might cost me financially!"? I don't know, but I think it's a fair question.

We see so much ugliness in almost every media that the more we allow ourselves to be bombarded with the stuff of this world, we gradually become less and less sensitive to what is right and pure and true and more and more willing to tolerate a lesser standard. King's daughters are called to the highest standard of living: "whatever is pure, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable ... excellent, praise-worthy" ! (Philippians 4:8) God calls His daughters to demonstrate restored hearts that radiate His beauty from within!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm nervous about the middle school/teen years! Hopefully God will have used us to make those verses true in the hearts of our children so that they will be ready to stand.