Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Gnats of the Heart

Gnats, gnats, more gnats! I don't know how the Egyptians stood the plague of gnats (Exodus 8:16-19)! For weeks now I've been battling gnats in our house. I looked on the web and discovered there is such a thing as a fungus gnat. Since we have orchids and I have been keeping them especially healthy with regular feeding, I thought that was the cause. So I scooped some of the dirt off the top and put sand to smother the gnats. Good plan only it didn't work!

There were gnats all over our bedroom window and our bathroom mirror. I sprayed with insect killer and more died every day but they didn't go away.

FINALLY I made an amazing discovery. I found some "hidden" potatoes and onions that had turned to soup. They didn't smell so I didn't find them, but - lo, and behold - when I opened the plastic bag, I smelled them then and a cloud of gnats escaped.

Not a very flattering parable of life but it got me to thinking about the "hidden" pockets in my heart (and yours). Some of those pockets - if I can be honest with myself - are no better than the plastic bag of rotten potatoes and onions and the gnat "fall-out" goes on and on.

God, find those "hidden" pockets of sin and self in my heart. Expose and clean them up and make me what You want me to be. Please, please don't leave me swatting at gnats! Set me free! In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments: